Paying Attention to Attention: A Mindful Awareness Workshop
Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 1pm - 5pm
- Are you feeling unfocused, frazzled or stressed?
- Do you find that your mind wanders a lot and you are frequently distracted?
- Or that your mind frequently gets stuck ruminating on something?
- Is it hard for you to pay attention and be fully present at work or at home?
Many of us can relate to such questions and point to our “ADD Culture” as the problem, where our modern lives of phones, emails or other distractions constantly compete for our attention. Indeed our attention is one of our most precious faculties. It is attention that allows information to stream in and become part of our conscious awareness. Where and how we place attention determines what we see and don’t see. In this way attention shapes the quality of our lives, and what we know about ourselves and the world around us.
In this workshop we focus on attention itself and explain its power to determine the level of our happiness and well-being. We will:
- Discuss the science of attention and outline the continuum of attention problems that can result from our busy culture, overall stress, or neurological brain differences such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Look at neuroplasticity and the key role attention plays in shaping our brains.
- Highlight how attention interplays with intention and awareness and discuss the factors that enhance attention in daily life.
- Introduce mindfulness meditation exercises as a time-tested attention training approach that is increasingly validated by neuroscience.
- Practice attention through sound-breath-body exercises, yoga and mindful movement, mindful eating practice, and compassion practice.
- Show how mindful awareness practices can be incorporated into daily routines to create more focus, awareness and well-being in our lives.
Where: Healthstyle Integrative Medicine Center
3803 South Bascom Ave., Suite 200
Campbell, CA 95008
Fee: $50 online /$55 at the door (no one turned away for lack of funds)
SPECIAL PRICING: BRING A FRIEND 2 FOR 1 & 20% DISCOUNT INDIVIDUAL TICKET
(from 4/18/2013 thru 4/26/2013; regular price after this time)
Lidia Zylowska, M.D., Psychiatrist specializing in adult ADD/ADHD and Author of “The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD”
Melissa Green MS MA, Happiness Consultant and Holistic Health Counselor
Gonzalo Brito MA, Clinical Psychologist and Certified Yoga Teacher